How to deal with damages to a furnished rental?

Whatever the form they take, dealing with damages is a much dreaded affair for tenants and landlords alike, because the compensation procedure can turn out to be a long and expensive one. Here is some dedicated advice provided by Lodgis and the broker French Furnished Insurance, both specialists in the furnished rental market.

Whether it’s a case of water damage, attempted theft, broken glass or even a fire, you will need to establish which insurance provider is responsible for paying the damages.
In order to to this, you must determinethe cause of the damages, who the injured party(ies) are, the total amount and nature of the damages.

Next, you should remember that in dealing with damages you must follow specific set of rules and procedures:

  1. The damages must be declared within a fixed deadline, in an official manner, and via the appropriate intermediaries
  2. The cost of the damages must be appraised by an expert
  3. Compensation for the damages can then be received

Note: in terms of damages to furnished rental properties, there are some specific points to address in order to avoid problems and misunderstandings.

o find out more about this subject, I would recommend reading Lodgis’ most recent press releaase: Dealing with damages to furnished rentals: in theory and through case studies. You will find detailed explanations supported by concrete examples that will make dealing with damages to your furnished rental property an easier task.

You liked this post ? Share it !

About me

Maud Velter
Maud Velter
Legal & practical advice for furnished rentals
Associate Director of